Friday, November 28, 2008

Wolverine Down Under

Give thanks for Thanksgiving! Mmm...food. I insisted on participating in the preparation, and even made my own Sweet Potato/Chestnut mash! It was alright, and a good venture into cooking this break.
After consuming the food, we ventured out to see "Australia" with some family friends. I will not offer a review per say. I will say that if it has a central theme, it is lost in the 3 hours of movie provided. However, I enjoyed it overall. Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman are far too stunning a couple for us common peasants. That man is RIPPED!
What was most interesting to me (Spoiler alert?) was the overt symbolism of the Wizard of Oz. Oz, Aussie, Australia. There's magic, there's young women stuck in "Faraway Downs". On top of that, we have references to Peter Pan with the "Never Never", and "The Jungle Book" with Kipling Flynn (Rudyard Kipling), all revolving around the young Aboriginal boy Nullah and his search for identity. I think it's an interesting idea, with some big symbols and allegory floating around, but once again, I'm not sure that it goes beyond that. I'm also not as familiar with those stories as I'd like to be, and I wonder what the film would be like if I had that under my belt.
I'm a big fan of allegory and overarching symbolism, and I'm glad to see some in the theater. I don't know if it worked, but we can do with more of it as viewers. We can also do with more Hugh Jackman. Hey, I just realized that I got movies with Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman AND Jason Statham this year. Hurray for British/Australian action stars!

1 comment:

Rachel Teagle said...

And you're going to get even more Hugh Jackman coming up! He's hosting the Oscars - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/12/AR2008121201801.html

If he were to sing and dance in his accent with his shirt off, I think my heart would explode.