Tuesday, June 17, 2008

In the beginning...


And he saw his workplace, and it was good. Well folks, it's official. My internship has begun, and it was everything I hoped it would be. The intern manager, who I'd met with previously, gave me a tour of the offices once and I checked in, and it was fantastic. There was merchandise everywhere! Those employees had way too many toys on their desks to get any work done. And of course there were lots of things I wanted but are unobtainable, which is disheartening, but at the same time exciting, because where else would I see them?
It's very strange to be in the main office "where the magic happens" so to speak. Everyone, my supervisors especially, were very nice. It's really wonderful to be working in an environment where everyone has a clear passion for the material. It's energizing. Where else can you talk about your choice X-Men line up, the relationship between Galactus and the Celestials, who would win in a fight between Ms. Marvel and Rogue, and any number of equally nerdy things.
John Denning took me into the archives, which are awesome, because they're filled with comics, but are otherwise a big closet. I'll get to venture back into there more in the future, but today I did a lot of work mailing out complimentary trade paperbacks to their creators. While it seems boring, it was incredibly cool, because I was mailing things to some of my favorite creators! (i.e. Neil Gaiman, John Romita Jr.) It was tempting to steal their addresses from the database or include notes in their mailings, but that would be wrong.
The interns and employees are great. It's the little touches that really make the place shine. Like Venom soap dispensers in the bathroom, or bins of old comics for the interns to rummage through (which is totally awesome. I cannot tell you how awesome free comics are). I love the idea that people are in the business of making something that has no other value than that people love it. And that is worthy enough.
It'll be good to get all the comp books out. Then I hope to start more of the creative process of my internship. I'm excited to work with the older comics and help put out the books. But I'm more than happy to do a little grunt work in the meantime. My living arrangements are working out great. Props to the Riemer family! Well, that's all she wrote for today. Updates soon!
Until next time, 'nuff said.

-Jared

No comments: