Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Kung Fu in the Big City


Well, I had a day off today. I'm required to work Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the rest is negotiable, so I thought resting up after my travels would be appropriate. After a nice rest, I had an easy morning of WoW and donuts (mmm...donuts). Nathan and I played some X-Men Legends and G-tar hero, and eventually we took the train out to the city proper. We decided to head to the Midtown Comics store in Times Square, but stopped to see Kung Fu Panda first. After paying a mere $12.00 for a ticket, we ascended an elevator to the theater (things are more vertical here). On the way up, we were informed by the elevator attendant that she had kicked a Chinese food delivery guy out of the elevator for calling her "fat". It was a fun time. In any case, the movie was actually pretty fun. Jack Black is, of course, hilarious. It made me wonder if they wrote the script to sound like Jack Black, or if he just said random things and they animated around it. There were actually a lot of famous names behind the voices, David Cross included, and the action was actually really cool. The best part of the movie is the dream sequence at the beginning, where his enemies are blinded by his "pure awesome". Classic. Also, if anyone can tell me what animal master Xifu is supposed to be, 50 points.
The comic book store was busy, but had a lot of good stuff. I bought way too many comic books, and some toys, but they were all worth it. It's interesting to see the types of people who shop in a downtown New York comic book store. Lots of people in suits, and very few kids. They had a few of the books I need to for my course credit this summer, but I'm going to hold off until I check if they're available through a library. I'd rather not buy them all. Surprisingly they didn't have Will Eisner's "Comics and Sequential Art", but I think it might be out of print right now.
In any case, it was a relaxing and fun day. I'm ready to go back to work tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have too many more boxes of books to mail out, but either way, it'll be fun to be back at Marvel. I mean, come on. Marvel!

No comments: