Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Serious Matter of Super-Villainy

Dr. Horrible is over. I really enjoyed the short little series. Sad though. Oh well, cest la vie! Also, after having seen Batman, I have been contemplating who should be the next Batman villain featured in the movies. After some thought, my initial selection is The Black Mask. I think he has just the right amount of creepiness, psychosis, and non-superpowered
..uh..itude to fit into the current feel of the movies. Evidently the character who becomes him was also in the original script for Batman Begins, but was eventually cut, so they've already been thinking about him. Not only that, but he's the next logical step in the villains for the movies. The first movie had mainly criminal organizations, but also the League of Shadows, with no real supervillains yet, save the Scarecrow. However, the scarecrow presents very little threat when considered on a large scale, unlike Ra's al Ghul, who had city wide destruction at his fingertips. Then, we have a real supervillain, the Joker, who presents an incredible threat to the populace, but is clearly not your average mobster. Now, we still have the criminal organizations, but as they have made abundantly clear in this movie, a line has been crossed. So what do we get next? A supervillain mob boss. Now, I know Batman has a number to choose from in that vein, but the Black Mask's exploits have been big enough and serious enough to prove him as more than just a weirdo with thugs. He is organized, dangerous and crazy. So that's my vote, and my guess, as to the next villain. I also think we could see Bane thrown into the mix, but I'm pretty unsure about that.

3 comments:

Max said...

Dude, I was totally thinking the same thing! Cuz, the Riddler's pretty lame, and every single other major villain has some kind of super power. The only problems with the Black Mask that I see are a) he's not that well known of a Batman villain, and b) isn't he more of a Catwoman villain? I'm not sure about that last one, as I only have Wikipedia to go by, and they can easily ignore that if needed.

I could also see Deadshot as a government assassin trying to take down Batman after the events of Dark Knight, or maybe Hush, the anti-Batman, but recast as a former policeman or something.

Yay comics geekery!

Jared Evans said...

Yeah, I was thinking Hush originally, but the problem is that storyline needs SO many villains and SO much back story to work. Deadshot would be sweet though, especially after Gotham Knight.

Nathan Riemer said...

According to wikipedia, there's been some talk of Riddler as the next villain, and apparently David Tennant has expressed interest in the role. So just call him "Dr. Who?"
(Yeah, I know it's a weak pun, but I couldn't come up with a better one...)